11 6 / 2013
As they say, “black is beautiful”, that is why numerous women who have pale skin would bake themselves under the scorching heat of the sun just so they can get that tanned skin. But then again, are they really getting a tan or just a “burned” look; not to mention risking their skin to cancer?
Fortunately, there is another option to get that gorgeous and attractive tan and that is by using tanning lotions. Tanning lotion is a cosmetic product that when applied to the skin instantly gives that instant tan everybody is dying to have.
If you have yet to try out tanning lotions you might be wondering why you should use it and not just go on a vacation and sunbathe all you want. To satisfy your curiosity, here are some of the top reasons why you should consider using a tanning lotion:
- Safety – tanning lotions will relieve you of your ghost-like color and give you that much needed “after-beach” look without having to worry about being exposed to the harmful and damaging effects of the sun’s rays. It is important to remember that the sun does not only make you look much older but can cause cancer as well. Furthermore, these products are regulated, thus, you can be assured that what you have purchased can truly benefit you and not cause harm or irreversible damage.
- Skincare – bathing under the sun may get you that gorgeous color but it is damaging your skin in the process. In fact, if you are going to expose yourself under the sun regularly you will readily notice the appearance of early signs of skin aging like wrinkles, crow’s feet, age spots, and freckles. It will also diminish moisture on your skin considerably together with the other properties that are essentially good for the skin like collagen. Tanning lotion, on the other hand, not only gives you a tan but it will also help your skin to become softer, smoother and younger looking. This is because most of these products contain ingredients that are known to care and hydrate the skin; some even have protective properties to protect your skin against the harmful rays of the sun.
- Nourishment – tanning lotions also contain numerous vitamins that nourish the skin such as vitamins A and E; hence, apart from providing your skin with that healthy and attractive looking tan it is also giving your skin nutrition during the process.
03 6 / 2013
People go on a certain diet if they want to achieve a certain body or health goal such as losing weight or keeping sugar in check. But if your goal is to have good skin and postpone the appearance of the signs of skin aging, there are certain types of food for skin care that will help you achieve your objective.
Eating the following food together with the right skin care routine and anti-aging products will result in a healthier and younger-looking complexion that lasts:
- Tofu – this food is rich in soya which has been known to be abundant in isoflavones. Isoflavones has been proven to have the ability to preserve the collagen in the skin which tends to decrease as you get older. Collagen keeps the skin firm; hence, preventing wrinkles and sagging. Researches have revealed that eating soy-rich foods prevents the skin from having wrinkles and promote smoother skin.
- Strawberries – this fruit is rich in anti-oxidant which helps fight the harmful effects of free radicals and environmental pollution. Free radicals cause the skin to become dull, dry and lifeless. Strawberry is also loaded with vitamin C which is known to postpone the appearance of wrinkles and dryness brought about by aging.
- Tuna, salmon, and sardines – these fishes are proven to be high in omega-3 content which is medically acknowledge to keep skin looking young and it also has the ability to prevent skin cancer. These types of fishes also contain high levels of eicosapentaenoic acid that help the skin preserve its collagen level.
- Tomatoes – this wonder fruit contains numerous nutrients that help the skin preserve its youthful glow and appearance like lycopene which has been proven by researches to help the skin to become smoother and protected from sunburn.
- Coffee – drinking coffee in moderation helps the skin because it is rich in antioxidants that fight free radicals; in other words in protects the skin cells from irreversible damage caused by negative environmental factors.
- Cocoa or chocolate – although consuming too much processed and sweetened chocolate can cause acne breakouts, taking in certain types of chocolate (like dark chocolate) is good for aging skin. It is rich in epicatechin a kind of flavonoid that increases the flow of blood in the skin; this in turn helps the skin receives more nutrients and oxygen, thereby making the skin healthier and less prone to early appearance of wrinkles and fine lines. Dark chocolate also has high antioxidant content which, apart from fighting free radicals, also protect the skin from the damaging effects of UV light.
- Avocados – this fruit is an excellent source of vitamin E, potassium, monounsaturated fats, as well as antioxidants. All these nutrients have been clinically recognized to improve the quality of the skin, keep it healthy; thereby prolonging its youthful appearance.
- Red wine – drinking red wine in moderation brings anti-aging effects since it is loaded with resveratrol, a compound known to slows down the aging of the cells; thus keeping your skin much younger, longer.
31 5 / 2013
Skincare products are not created equal. Some of them are overpriced and they could not even support their claims of what the products can deliver. A close study of several skincare products cuts through the common commercial hype to reveal which products are really the best. Following are the top ten best skin care products one can find the market:
1. Clinique’s Even Better Eyes Dark Circle Corrector
It is a fragrance-free skincare product has an impressive list of ingredients cell-communicating agents and antioxidants that work by concealing dark circles around the eyes. While the product is largely cosmetic which works by having its pigments and sheer-tint deflect the light, it is by far one of the best concealers for darkness in the under eye areas. Be warned though that the product does not contain SPF, hence it provides no protection from the damages caused by exposure to the sun.
2. Lab Series Skincare for Men’s Max LS Overnight Renewal Serum
Coming from a line of men’s skin care that is considered a pricey option, this product is guaranteed to be appreciated by both men and women. It contains a combination of reparative agents and antioxidants. It is a light and water-based serum that is applicable to both the normal and oily skin types.
3. Paula’s Choice’s Resist Pure Radiance Skin Brightening Treatment
One of the most difficult skincare problems is treating with brown spots caused by sun exposure or the resulting red marks from skin breakout. This product is specially formulated to deal with the aforementioned problems. The special blend of very potent antioxidants such as niacinamide and acetyl glucosamine that works effectively to fade the discolorations of the skin. The formula used in this product is water-based, making it a good option for all types of skin, including skins that are susceptible to breakouts.
4. Rodan + Fields’ Soothe Mineral Sunscreen SPF 30
This product is the best option for people who are looking for a sunscreen that will work for all skin types. This is a fragrance-free moisturizer for daytime use. It is made of a gentle blend of mineral sunscreen, antioxidants, reparative ingredients, and agents for soothing skin. While this product could not be considered as the best in the market, it is the product of choice for people with dry skin that do not worry about skin breakouts.
5. Olay Regenerist’s Regenerating Serum, Fragrance Free
This is a fragrance-free version of Olay’s Regenerist Regenerating Serum. It is silicone-based serum that has a slight moisturizing formula that is proven to have an excellent anti-aging effect.
6. Yes To Cucumbers’ Gentle Milk Cleanser
This is a cleansing milk with a very minimal fragrance that proves to be an excellent choice for people with normal and dry skin types. The gentle formulation removes makeup and soothes the skin while rinsing. The presence of cucumber in the formula makes this product irritation-free.
7. Mary Kay’s Sun Care Sunscreen Broad Spectrum SPF 30
This water-resistant SPF 30 is recommended for people with normal to oily skin type. The product is an outstanding sunscreen but it contains few antioxidants . It also contains a very small amount of fragrance.
8. Clean & Clear’s Advantage Oil Absorbing Treatment Oil-Free
It is a 2% BHA expfoliant that works for oily and combination types of skin. It is effective in unclogging pores and busting blackheads.
9. Paula’s Choice’s Resist BHA
This time-released formula works best for spot-treatment of skin imperfections that includes enlarged pores, red marks, white bumps, and blemishes. It is formulated to suit all types of skin.
10. Philosophy’s Clear Days Ahead Oil-Free Salicylic Acid Acne Treatment & Moisturizer
It is a 1% BHA for skin types that are prone to breakouts. At pH 3.6, it is an effective exfoliant and at the same time provides extra moisture.